Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Life Lessons

There is a student in one of the classes I'm observing whose father died this year and he is really struggling in school. It's one of those tough situations that teachers have to learn to deal with. I think one of the hardest parts of all is that you really don't know what impact you will have on the student over the long term. In the case of this child, he is rarely focused and (while I'm no doctor) I would guess that he is suffering from depression. They are throwing around the idea that he may have ADD or ADHD, but I doubt it, I just think he's really depressed. His family recently started attending grief counseling, so that is a good thing. I hope that the little guy can get the emotional and mental health support he needs so that he can begin to thrive in school instead of just walking through his days like a zombie.


No comments:

Post a Comment